Friday, February 14, 2014

Never a Weakness

I've been thinking a lot about the traits that I have and how they help or hinder me. One in particular that I'm "proud" to have developed (I guess pride is one I should try to get rid of..) is empathy. At BYU  Hawaii I studied International Cultural Studies with an Anthropology emphasis. One of the things I had to study and write papers on was the attribute and depth of empathy and how much we as a people need it. I came to understand it on a fundamental level, but also on a spiritual level. The very definition of what I believe, from a religious stance, is "empathy." There is no other word that sums up having a love for people, one that allows a connection with what they feel and a tender concern for their situation and eternal well-being.

As beautiful as true empathy can be in practice, I've been met with conflicting views on putting it into practice. Its like I'm being told to feel it but don't do it. Which is so silly to me that I feel its worth writing about, because having a concern for the well-being of others is pivotal to my happiness.

Serving others in any situation provides a glimpse at empathetic love.
"If you want to love someone, serve that person."
-Elder Vaughn J Featherstone.

I have worked in customer service for the last 2 years. 1 year was as a tour guide at the PCC, a few months was a waitress in Provo, and now I work as a customer service agent at the corporate office for a jewelry company. While being a guide was an extremely unique type of service each day I worked, it taught me to love everyone and go above and beyond to make their day. Even now, answering phones and emails to help people with their businesses I use this principle. Everyone deserves a break now and then. I want to make sure that when they speak with me its a break from a crappy day or a break from the less-than-sub-par-customer service they are used to with other companies.
Now, I don't get paid extra for "going to the extra mile", if you will, for those I speak with. Sometimes those people are even overly rude, entitled, or needy. I do it though, because I know love for others is so important.

I'm not trying to toot my own horn here. I'm setting the stage for "feedback" I have had about my desire to show empathy to others.
Two influential people in my life, we will call them Joe and Bill, have had a fair amount to say about empathy.

Exhibit A.) Joe told me "You are letting people walk all over you. They are using you. People are not going to appreciate that you are doing so much unseen, extra work for them, but they will keep asking you to do it. And then they will ask you to do more and more, and what are you getting from it? Nothing. Not a pay raise, not respect, just a "thanks for doing your job", now do more since you're doing so well with what you have already."

In a way Joe's right, I don't get recognition, praise, etc for what I do. And sometimes people take advantage of a listening ear or a helpful attitude. That' totally unfortunate, but I can't control what they choose to do with the love and care I give them. At the end of the day, I'm accountable for how I treat people, not how they treat me in response.

Exhibit B.) Bill "Empathy might be your greatest strength as a customer service rep, but its also your greatest weakness."

A weakness? When I was told this I understood where he was coming from... People call me and tell me the trouble they're having and I feel for them. I pass it along, and sometimes if I feel passionately about it it can become a whole ordeal because I don't have a right to imagine my opinions count when running a business. It was like I was being told that people could influence me to do anything, to feel the way they feel because I have "too much empathy." I have the spine to stand up for them, but not against them. The reality is though, that my empathy allows me to help others feel good again about what they're doing. It gives them an ally when things aren't working out the way they were told it would. Sometimes, if their opinions back ones that I already have I will pass it on.. making me "impressionable"... "weak."

I've decided something though. Empathy is not a weakness. It is never a weakness. It is my greatest strength, especially when looking for real and lasting happiness. I believe the world could use more of it, and I'm not going to take it away from those who need it just because it doesn't suit some people to see me be "taken advantage of" or "convinced" one way or another.

It reminds me of a quote by Zoey Deschanel.. (a totally worthy role model if you ask me)


I deserve to feel confident in myself, to feel that my strengths are strengths. Throughout this journey of mine I refuse to let people make me feel bad about allowing myself to feel. I refuse to run away from feeling things deeply, or from caring for others without being able to control what they'll do in response. 

My heart is my greatest asset. 
Empathy is the greatest truth.



3 comments:

  1. Great post Maddie! I have worked in call centers for 15 years, many of them in a customer service type role. I would say one word of caution.. As much as you want to have empathy and do everything you can to make others feel loved and cared for, you have to remember that your job is also to do what's in the best interest of the company. Good customer service is great for the company, but how far you take compensation or responsibility for complaints depends on the business and the situation. I try to do whats right on a human level for our customers and what is ethical, but also remember that I am paid to do whats in the best interest of the company. Sometimes it is a really hard balance! BUT, I totally agree that it's important to FEEL and to love, there is never truly a downside to that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree. Sometimes people just need to understand why things are the way they are or just feel like someone's listening and will follow up. I didn't write about it at all, but I'm in this constant back and forth between feeling for a customer and understanding what they're saying vs understanding why the company does what it does. I guess I'm just trying to be a mediator and help both sides understand the other's opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice Madison. I too have worked in Customer Service most of my working life, and I 'feel' for people as much as anyone. I cry a lot for things that matter and how people are treated and what I might be able to do to help. Sometimes I can go overboard and become an enabler, so I have to be careful to set boundaries with those who might try to take advantage, but for the most part, my empathy is well-received by others and blesses them (and me, indirectly) in the process. My best example is Jesus, and if I look to follow His example of Love, I know I am on the right path. I applaud you and Holly for your personal journeys and how you are seeking to become the women of God that He has already made you to be. Thanks to both of your for sharing your thoughts and journeys with us! I for one am learning MUCH about myself, too. Take care and stay true to yourself!

    ReplyDelete